Click here to apply for Moving Dialogs 2018!
Each Moving Dialogs: Culture in Motion event will consist of a showing of the objects, presentation of dance, and discussion on the intersection and process with curator and choreographer. Selected choreographers will develop new movement (or pull from existing repertoire and re-work) in partnership with and in response to objects and themes present in collections at the host museum. Three choreographic partners will be selected by panel review. The panel will be made up of leaders in the Chicago dance field as well as host museum representatives.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Audience Architects seeks choreographers/dance companies who are interested in:
1. Performing in one of the Moving Dialogs events.
2. Collaborating with the curators from the host venues as part of the process. The degree of involvement with curators and community will be on a case-by-case basis, with a minimum requirement of at least one in-person meeting and one site visit.
3. Attending each of the other events in the series.
4. Participating in a final evaluation of the program.
BENEFITS TO PARTICIPATION
This is a unique program that has the potential to be impactful in different ways than a traditional performance. Benefits to the three selected artists/groups include:
1. Exposure to a culturally curious audience that wants to learn more about dance and has great potential to become future dance patrons.
2. Supportive, collaborative environment that encourages experimentation and offers artists the chance to sample work and get feedback that may inform the piece in unexpected ways.
3. Introduction to curators, new venues, communities, and audiences.
4. Substantive stipend that should offset many costs related to the project.
5. Ten (10) hours of free rehearsal time, provided by the host venue/location.
5. Opportunities to be featured in interviews and/or videos that will be promoted on SeeChicagoDance.com.
6. Possibility of being selected for commission of a fully produced performance.
Artist fees will be awarded on a sliding scale with awards ranging between $1,000 to $1,500. The awarded amount will be determined by the review panel and will be based on the project budget, complexity of the work, number of performers, etc.
Artists will be chosen by a panel review comprised of members of the Chicago dance and host partner communities. Awards will be based on the quality and completeness of the application, artistic merit, and expressed enthusiasm for this experimental program. Additionally, the award panel will look favorably on proposals that demonstrate the following:
1. Willingness to engage in an exploratory program with the primary goal of developing new audiences and a greater understanding of how creative interpretation could increase an audience’s interest and knowledge of a region’s cultural heritage.
2. Value of creating an experience and an environment where audiences are invited to participate and learn rather than the sole creation of the artwork.
3. Interest in working with cultural/heritage museums, with both organizations having equal weight on the outcome of the evening.
4. Ability to work in non-traditional spaces that have not hosted performances before.
5. Technically self-sufficient programs since events will take place in community centers, not theaters.
Who can apply?
1. Dance companies and/or individual artists with either 501(c)3 non-profit status or sponsorship by fiscal agent.
a. If sponsored, applicant must include a letter of agreement with their fiscal agency as an attachment to this application.
2. Applicant must be based in the Chicago region (defined as the five county areas including Cook, DeKalb, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, McHenry, and Will) and have presented or produced at least one engagement in Chicago since January 2016.
3. Applicants must be members of Audience Architects and their accounts must be in good standing in order to access this program. (To renew your membership for 2018, click here.)
4. If selected, the company/artist must provide proof of general liability insurance with a minimum of $1 million policy.
All applications and related materials must be either submitted online through Submittable or submitted through US postal service by 5pm, January 4, 2018. Late applications will not be accepted. Awards will be announced in late January 2018.
Click here to apply for Moving Dialogs 2018!
Questions? Please contact Surinder Martignetti at email@example.com
This program is made possible by